Courtesy of Wxyz.com:
n a job market where a single open position can receive dozens, even hundreds of applicants, just getting to the interview stage is a huge accomplishment.
CareerBuilder.com interviewed thousands of employers. Here are the most common mistakes people make.
- Answering cell phone or texting
- Appearing disinterested
- Dressing inappropriately
- Appearing arrogant
- Talking negatively about current or previous employers
- Chewing gum
Most unusual interview mistakes:
- Candidate brought a “how to interview book” with him to the interview.
- Candidate asked, “What company is this again?”
- Candidate put the interviewer on hold during a phone interview. When she came back on the line, she told the interviewer that she had a date set up for Friday.
- When a candidate interviewing for a security position wasn’t hired on the spot, he painted graffiti on the building.
- Candidate wore a Boy Scout uniform and never told interviewers why.
- Candidate was arrested by federal authorities during the interview when the background check revealed the person had an outstanding warrant.
- Candidate talked about promptness as one of her strengths after showing up ten minutes late.
- On the way to the interview, the candidate passed, cut-off, and flipped his middle finger at the driver who happened to be the interviewer.
- Candidate referred to himself in the third person.
- Candidate took off his shoes during the interview.
- Candidate asked for a sip of the interviewer’s coffee.
- Candidate told the interviewer she wasn’t sure if the job offered was worth “starting the car for.”